Sunday, July 17, 2016

Blueberry Greek Yogurt Bread


 Keep Calm and Bake On
I love to bake.  Assembling multiple ingredients into one delicious finished product is very relaxing to me.  The sights, sounds, and especially smell puts me in a holiday spirit…even when it isn’t a holiday.
Late last year I made bread that had Greek yogurt in it (an ingredient I had never used while making bread).  I didn’t have enough yogurt at the time so I supplemented it with a pouch of my son’s fruit baby food.   It worked well and gave the bread a moist texture and distinct fruit flavor.
I’ve had that bread on my mind recently.  When my wife came home with blueberry Greek yogurt and a carton of blueberries I got an idea which could make that bread even better.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the recipe I used the last time I made this bread, so I searched Pinterest and found one that was close which I could modify to my liking.
To make this recipe you’ll need the following…
  • 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour + 1 tbsp (set aside the 1 tbsp)
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup blueberry greek yogurt
  • 1 ½ tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 cup blueberries

And the directions…

  • Spray a 9x5 pan with non-stick spray
  • Pre heat oven to 350
  • Toss blueberries with 1 tbsp flour until coated (set aside)
  • Mix flour/baking powder/salt in bowl and set aside
  • In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thoroughly mixed together.
  • Beat in vanilla, Greek yogurt, coconut oil, lemon juice to egg/sugar mixture (warning…it will look disgusting but don’t be alarmed)
  • Combine wet & dry ingredients and mix (with a spatula) until smooth.
  • Fold in blueberries
  • Pour batter into 9x5 pan and bake for 50 – 55 minutes (it’s done when you can insert a toothpick into the middle and it comes out clean)
  • Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing loaf from pan.
  • Slice and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment